Sunday, October 05, 2014

The nights are drawing longer and the mornings seem somewhat darker than they were only a week ago. Winter is most certainly on its way, and the furs are being beaten in preparation for the first frosts. It is never my favourite time of year because I always prefer the glory of summer days, but Autumn and Winter do bring about a certain 'je ne sais quoi'.

We had a trial run of the supposed Christmas festivities that the Duke had organised as he invited his parents to travel over from Bohemia for a few days. It was rather sprung upon me, but he had organised everything magnificently so there was very little for me to do other than be myself and entertain (which does just come naturally to me, of course). It does mean, however, that I have neglected my duties somewhat to my Royal charge and fully intend to make the most of this spare time to catch up on things I ought to have done. 

It is not particularly taxing work, however it does take up rather a lot of time, and I've been so exhausted recently I've needed more and more sleep. Indeed I rather out did myself lat night and slept for a full twelve hours. I haven't had a chance to do that since before I left for the Antipodes!


I do have to admit, it was lovely having the Duke's family here, they were very kind and brought messages from Bohemia. It seems that Christmas will most certainly be full-steam ahead now that we've had such a success here in the north... And now I do not have a leg to stand upon (though I may berate the Duke, just for a few giggles).

Belle and I did promenade the Docks, asking questions about our respective love lives. Her and the Gameskeeper have been parted long enough that she has acquired a new man friend, though she made me promise not to mention him here... I shall have to keep to that promise as it is only a fledgling relationship and not yet fair for me to comment upon ~ not that it is ever fair for me to cast judgement!

In fact the Duke and I have now celebrated our first anniversary together! None were more shocked than we to think we'd still be together after our unconventional meeting and even more perverse courtship, but dare I say we are happier than ever? The darling governess from the Convent even commented this weekend, that she's safe in the knowledge that despite our bickering, the Duke and I love each other. It made me blush to hear another's opinion of my relationship (which is why I need to stop being so judgemental) but I smiled radiantly beneath the blush at the truth of it all.

I've had relationships where the passion quickly fades to indifference and routine. It is far from that with the Duke of Albany. We argue and berate each other, tease and torment, only to forgive and forget... eventually. I wouldn't want our relationship any other way.



D. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment